How do you actually do the coaching if you’re working as a business coach and specifically if you’re following the Business Coach Academy Certified Partner Method?
Structuring your coaching sessions.
One of the beauties of being a business coach is you can be extremely flexible with how you work in terms of the practicalities of structuring your coaching sessions.
We have some coaches who love to get into a regular working schedule. They really like having a structured package where they meet with a client every week for an hour and are paid a monthly fee. The meetings can be held via phone call or by video conference.
Other coaches like to have monthly full-day events with their teams. Whether that’s in real life or via virtual communication. Instead of having one hour a week, they will chunk their sessions together. This way they are able to get everything done all at once.
Another way in coaches like to structure their schedules is to do a 2-hour session once a month. They will then follow these up with small check-ins every now and again.
So from a practical standpoint, you can do whatever you want, and you can be very flexible.
How do you do the coaching within a session?
You can do it face-to-face, online, or even just through audio. Depending on the preferences of you and your client.
You are going to follow the specific coaching session structure that we give you in the certified partner programme. We teach our coaches are a very specific way in which they should check in with their clients and make sure they have moved forward.
If the client hasn’t moved forward, we have specific questions to challenge the client that isn’t going to make them defensive but also doesn’t position you as a pushover. These questions will help you challenge your clients just enough to really push them forward.
One of the second biggest reasons coaches lose clients is because they don’t challenge their clients enough. The client gets comfortable doing the same things, which won’t achieve new results and then they think why do I need a coach?
Up until the point you get into a routine with a client, you will be following our coaching plan. This will be broken down into the following:
- Long term lifestyle
- Alignment session, which sets up their long term goals
- The next 90-day plan
The 90- day plan is what you will coach towards and help them implement. Then you will coach them on the projects they will need to complete to reach their goals.
In that coaching session, you will be using a variety of tools and conversations from the profit method. You will be getting them to implement some things in their business, figuring out where they need to go and what is blocking them from reaching their goals. At the end of the session, you will agree on a certain amount of actions that they will do in order to move them forward. You will then focus on these things in the following coaching sessions.
You will have a range of tools to use, whether they need to move forward in terms of goals or projects, or whether they need to be educated on a specific part of the business. Throughout everything, you will also have ultimate flexibility on timeframes and coaching methods.
As you get more used to the system, you will start to develop your own way that you like to work with your clients. But we do alos have it mapped out as a process for you that you can adapt to suit your own style.
- Review the previous week
- what went great/wins
- what were the challenges/not so great
- Review the previous sessions agreed activities.
- Work through a focus sheet.
- What was the key shift last time?
- How have they applied that?
- What were the key goals/ goal?
- Work through each goal:
- Have they completed it?
- Were there any interferences?
- What have they overcome?
- What has been the outcome/result/benefit?
- Next look at what have they tested and measured? What decisions need making as a result of that?
- Discuss: What is the current number 1 priority for them right now both personally and in the business?
- What is on the 90-day plan for this week?
- Can they see any interferences to this being achieved?
- What support/knowledge/accountability will they need?
- What ARE THE KEY GOALS FOR THIS WEEK?
- Agree actions.
- Ask ‘what is your key learning from today?’
- Wrap up the session, preferably early!!!
- "Great, I confirm our next session is …….and I look forward to seeing you then."